13. February 2022
Mrs. Minnesota's Date Cake
Many of my earliest memories are wrapped up in this recipe. Don’t let the dates scare you. This is a moist and delicious treat with a crunchy sugar topping with nuts and chocolate. I don’t know who “Mrs. Minnesota” was, but she is the namesake for this recipe.
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 tsp. baking soda dissolved in 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups AP flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 6 oz chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans)
- Pour boiling water with teaspoon of baking soda over dates, let cool.
- Cream shortening and sugar.
- To the shortening mixture, add eggs, date mixture, flour, baking soda, and salt. Blend well.
- Pour into greased 9x13 pan.
- Sprinkle topping over batter.
- Bake 325°F for 35-45 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.