01. January 2021
A long, long time ago I made this veggie chili for my buddy, Randy Globerman, he’d crash on our floor when he was looking for his first job as a fire fighter. It’s a million years later now, he’s a Fire Captain and we’re still making this chili. Any time the weather starts to turn cold, this is our go-to warmer-upper.
- Olive oil
- 2 medium zucchini cubed
- 2 medium yellow onions cubed
- 4 cloves garlic - finely chopped
- 2 Large Sweet Red, Orange, or Yellow Bell Peppers - cored and diced
- 1 28 oz can + 1 14.5 oz can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1.5 lb. fresh ripe Roma tomatoes - 1" cubes
- 2 T Chili powder
- 1 T ground Cumin
- 1 T dried Basil
- 1 T dried Oregano
- 2 tsp. ground Black Pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. fennel seeds, cracked
- 1/2 C chopped Italian Parsley (Fresh)
- 1 15.5 oz Can Kidney Beans - drained
- 1 15.5 oz Can Garbanzo Beans - drained
- 1/2 C Fresh dill - chopped
- 2 T Lemon Juice
- Heat Olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add zucchini and sauté until just tender. Remove zucchini.
- If necessary, add a bit more olive oil to the pan over low heat. Add onions, garlic, and sweet bell pepper. Sauté until just wilted, about 10 minutes.
- Add undrained canned tomatoes, fresh tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, basil, oregano, pepper, salt, fennel, and parsley.
- Cook uncovered for 30 minutes, stirring often.
- 15 minutes before serving, stir in drained kidney beans, drained garbanzos, dill, and lemon juice, cook 15 minutes.
- Stir well, serve immediately.